From Exegesis To Exposition
Earn 640 points upon purchasing this product.
Many seminarians suspect that their courses in Hebrew have little relevance to their current and future ministry. Author Robert Chisholm believes otherwise, and in From Exegesis to Exposition, he shows seminarians and seminary-trained pastors how to preach accurate, informative, and even exciting sermons that are solidly rooted in the Hebrew text and do not require an inordinate amount of time to prepare.
According to Chisholm, too many seminary courses don’t teach students how to make the transfer from parsing verbs to crafting relevant text-based sermons. This practical guide provides a comprehensive corrective, moving readers from the beginning stages of exegesis to the finished sermon.
Designed as a textbook for a second-year Hebrew course, From Exegesis to Exposition
– introduces students to the best language tools (including computer aids)
– guides students in making text-critical decisions
– discusses how to determine the precise meaning of Hebrew words and phrases and how to avoid common mistakes made in word studies
– surveys Hebrew syntax and demonstrates the impact basic grammatical observations can have on exegesis
– explains how a text’s literary form and features influence interpretation
– outlines and illustrates an interpretive method
– includes numerous examples and exercises to guide readers through the exegetical process and give them an opportunity to develop their own skill
– shows students how to construct an exposition from their exegetical work and includes several sample expositions
Chisholm reminds pastors and seminarians that it is never too late to renew their commitment to the importance of using Hebrew in ministry, regain a knowledge of the essentials of the language, and learn how to use the Hebrew Bible effectively.